I didn't write this one, but it was too good to resist re-posting here:
10. Took wrong turn at Bering land bridge.
9. Slavers seemed pretty insistent.
8. Sought religious freedom and the right to disembowel Quakers.
7. Nothing good to watch on BBC.
6. Took their orders from Neil Diamond.
5. Potato famine put big dent in profits from Irish fish-and-chip franchises.
4. To oppose anyone else being allowed to immigrate to America.
3. Sick of having unpronounceable names.
2. Wanted the right to vote on behalf of their wives.
1. Hoped to one day be listed on Ellis Island website.